75th Anniversary Nationals Cancelled

It is with great regret that the National Firefly Class Association must announce the cancelation of this year’s 75th Anniversary Firefly National Championships.

Despite the best efforts of Looe Sailing Club and the National Firefly Association, the 75th Anniversary National Championships will be unable to run at Looe SC as planned this August.

NFA Nationals coordinator Jim Bramley was notified 07/06/2021 of Looe SCs decision to withdraw as host of this year’s Nationals. This decision by the Club followed discussions with local authorities and many businesses who would need to provide support to the event. Having exhausted every option to try and run a safe and successful championship, Looe SC felt there was no other choice. All competing helms have been informed of the cancellation. 

The enormous increase in holidaymakers heading to Looe this summer has put unprecedented demand upon the small town which is struggling to cope. Infrastructure has been stretched beyond capacity and businesses have reported staff shortages, extremely long queues, and severe supply shortages over the last two weekends. The situation has also led to the cancellation of all other events scheduled to take place in Looe this summer.

The NFA would like to thank Jim for all his tireless work trying to find a solution to enable us to hold the Championships. We hope to see as many boats as possible at the remaining events of the season; Rickmansworth (12/6), South Staffs (19/6), Chipstead (19/10), Dell Quay (25-26/10) and the Inlands at Rutland 2-3 October. 

What happens now?
The Committee are currently looking into options for hosting an alternative event at another venue. If you can help in any way please contact Vice Chairman Ben Green who is coordinating efforts.

All entries for the 75th Anniversary Firefly Nationals will be refunded in full if requested.

Transfers to Tenby 2022
There may a possibility to transfer entries to next year’s Firefly Championships at Tenby SC (6th-12th August 2022) at this year’s entry fee rates. This is in discussion with TSC.

Why couldn’t we push back to 2022?
Looe SC are booked up with Nationals for the next six years and are unable to accommodate a second championship in July/August next year.

Can we transfer accommodation to minimise losses like the Ents did in 2021?
We are opening dialogue with the Fireball Scorpion Class who are in Looe next year. Transfers will be at the discretion of property landlord.

Can I speak to someone?
Feel free to message us on social or contact any member of the Committee directly. Contact details are on the committee page