The Firefly is one of the strongest 2-person racing fleets in the UK.
Important facts you need to know about the Firefly and the National Firefly Association:
- The Firefly is the one of the cheapest two person dinghies in the UK, race-ready secondhand boats can be picked up for under £1000; a new boat is under £4000.
- The Firefly is 12′ long, suits a crew weight of 17-24 stone, and has no spinnaker.
- The Firefly has great fleet racing, where inches count all the way round the course. The week-long National Championship held each August is the highlight of the year. For more details of Firefly events click on the Events tag on the left
- The Firefly is the ultimate team racing boat used at 2 ISAF World Team Racing Championships in the last 6 years, as well as being used for over 50 years at the world-famous Wilson Trophy, the British Open Team Racing Championship. The Firefly calendar includes more “bring your own boat” team racing events than any other class in the UK. If you like cheap close racing, the best team racing, excellent socials and a friendly class, buy a Firefly, join the class association, and come and join us!
- Last but not least! The Firefly class is as much about socializing as it is about sailing. With a current member list ranging from all ages – 8 to 80, a perfect balance of men to women and a super-friendly bunch of people, you are guaranteed to have fun, both on and off the water
At just £20 for a years’ full membership (e.g. helm), and £15 for associate membership (e.g. crew), it’s affordable – and fun!
If this sounds like the boat, class, fun and set of friends you are looking for, please contact the class membership secretary, Jonquil Brookes.
Best wishes and good sailing – and hopefully see you at our first event of the year, the Hamble Warming Pan (see below)!
Chris Guy, Firefly Class Chairman