Mast repair

Home Forums Technical Mast repair

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Guy 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tim Slater
    Participant

Am restoring # 2759 here in the USA and the mast appears to have broken in the past right at the deck. A very poor repair was done with a wooden plug. It also appears a little short!( as the chainplates had been moved) Can someone please give me the proper length measurement for the mast and an insight into the best way to repair/sleeve? The rest of the mast is in good shape including the spruce top. Many thanks

Guy
    Participant

Hi Tim, Please look in the “about the firefly” tab on our website on the left hand margin, then click on the “Technical” tab in the revealed menu. Here is a section of text referring to the class rules and a “link” referred to as “here” which when you click on takes you to the Royal Yachting Association and the Firefly class rules. These as you may well guess govern the measurements nad materials of all things to do with the class. In the rules are diagrams and measurements for the masts. Because you have a wooden section in the top third of your mast, which today is quite old, I would refer to the mast daigram Number 6 in the rules. Good luck with the repair, and I am a little curious how you would achive it within the rules? Maybe you have to find another mast for parts use? Or maybe you’ll find the overal length is correct after all. The booms on fireflies are quite low and that is why here in the UK we now allow the mast to be higher so as to raise the height of the boom giving more room in the boat. In the new class rules due out soon in the RYA web site, the new length will be made clear. The problem you have is that the old wooden top mast type of mast is now very old and to be frank if you did extend its length, I would doubt whether it would be strong enough to be robust in use i.e. it may well fall over the side in marginal conditions. Would you consider getting a new fixed mast of the longer variety? If so let us know and we’ll give you a US supplier’s name to call. Guy Tech Secretary.

Guy
    Participant

Tim, I forgot to answer how does one repair a mast? If the break is at deck level or below you can make a wooden plug and having two clean and level ends for the broken mast, you can insert the plug of the wooden section into both ends of mast. Hopefully most of the plug or indeed all can go 50/50 into the two sections of broken mast. But there may be internal obstructions that stop enough plug going in, and I hope that is not so in your case. This is not an easy job to do and you will require some patience and wood tooling skills! If the break is above the goose neck / boom height, then repairing is less likely to be successful to be frank. Then its back to a new mast or a second hand one from somewhere!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.