Jib hanks

Home Forums Technical Jib hanks

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tony Thresher 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Josh Richardson
    Participant

Do we have to have hanks on the jib under class rules? I can’t see anything about them in the rules and I don’t see any point in them seeing as rig tension is controlled by the jib halyard so the forestay is always loose. Advise welcome.
    Cheers,
    Josh

Tony Thresher
    Participant

You dont have to have them as far as I understand. Not sure if you can specify new sails without but they are easily removed.

Tony

I suspect that our Tech Sec may have something to say on this subject because he has a bit of a bee in his bonnet about it. I have been berated by Guy on a number of occasions for removing the hanks on my jib. Guy’s argument is that the sails have to be used “as supplied by the manufacturer” and since Hydes sell them with hanks then they have to be sailed with hanks (even if they serve no useful purpose). As I often do when Guy gets over-excited, I ignored him – but reluctantly I have to accept that he’s probably right on this.

Ed

Guy
    Participant

I am even more over excited now that I know I am ignored by you Ed…. I do hope you are entering the champs this year as I feel a petulent scrutineering mood coming on! Better have those original jib hanks with you.

Sorry to disappoint, Guy. We shan’t be at the Champs this year. Moving back to blighty this summer though, so no excuses for next year

Steven Greaves
    Participant

Can I suggest we just get the sails supplied without them from now on? We can pass through the class at the agm to prevent Guy bursting a blood vessel, that and movable jib fairleads which guy likes to ignore!

S

Tony Thresher
    Participant

Good plan.

Tony

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.