Centreboards Question

Home Forums Technical Centreboards Question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alister Barker 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Alister Barker
    Participant

Hi there,

I am thinking of changing my ‘slotted’ centreboard for one with a fixed bolt attachment from Rondar in an attempt to achieve a more positive fit. I would just like to get an idea, from people who know more about Fireflies than me, about whether there is any advantage to the new type of centreboards. Also, what type do most people with wooden boats have (am I one of the only sailors left with one of these?!)

Any input would be very much appreciated

Ali

Josh Richardson
    Participant

We’ve got a slotted one and a short mast and aft mainsheet but I doubt there’s many others left. Obviously the problem with the slot is the potential for the board to fall out of the boat when turtled and the board sometimes rides up on the slot when surfing down waves.

Tony Thresher
    Participant

Hi Ali,

When I replace cases I usually get my friendly welder to weld up the slot so I can use a bolt in the new case. No need to buy a new centreboard. In my opinion definitely worth doing and much cheaper than a new board.

The difficult part maybe extracting the old bolt and roller without damaging your existing case. The roller often appears to corrode itself onto the bolt and this combined with some owners overtightening the bolt to squeeze the case sides together in an attempt to stop the board moving laterally and thus crushing the roller into the inside ply sides gives you an idea of what you might be up against. So far each case I’ve worked on has presented a slightly different problem which at least keeps me interested!

Why not come to WOSC for our Open and I’ll take a look. Leave you your board behind and I’ll get it welded up for you for a small fee!

Tony

Alister Barker
    Participant

Thanks for both replies.

Tony, that sounds like a great idea and i think I might give it a go; however, I won’t be able to make the west Oxford open as away with work for the sat and going on holiday for the sunday.

Will let you know if I need your friendly welder.

Cheers

Ali

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.