Vang/kicker

Home Forums Technical Vang/kicker

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Barry Leake 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Barry Leake
    Participant

A couple if questions.

Im sure I’ve seen a fireflie pic with a vang similiar to an rs vario (rod kicker attached to boom then up to the mast. AmI mistaken!

I’m looking at buying a new firefly from rondar for myself and my nephew to race. I’m 80 kilos 5 foot 10 inches and he is age 16 years 9 and a half stone and 5 foot 10 inches. Are we suited interms of weight and height etc.

Be interested for comments

Thanks

Barry

Tony Thresher
    Participant

Hi Barry,

You are not completely mistaken although the boat you probably saw in the picture was something sailed in America and produced by Rondar. It is basically a Firefly hull with a slightly larger rig and as you say a gnav kicker system fitted to give the crew more room. The Firefly Class rules do not allow this arrangement and in order to fit said a number of other rules would have to change such as allowing a loose footed main and either some serious sleeving to the current mast section or a change in mast section. These are not changes the Class are likely to go for as the beauty of the Class is that our rig is standard and everyone uses the same.

To answer your second question, yes you are in the weight range. I’m between 90kgs and my regular crew is 60kgs an all up of 150kg or 23.5 stone. We are at the top end of the weight range but I have been amazed how well these little boats carry weight! Your 80kgs (12.5stone) and your nephew’s 9.5 stone gives you 22stone all up well within the advertised weight range of 17 to 24 stone.

So yes order a new Rondar Firefly and come and enjoy some of the best close tactical racing available on sea and lake in this country. If you want to try before you buy and you are anywhere near West Oxfordshire s.c I can organise a trial sail for you. I’m sure others can do the same in other parts of the country.

Hope this helps.

Tony Thresher

Tony Thresher
    Participant

PS

5 feet 10 inches for the crew may be a tad tall so definitely give a Rondar Fly a go first.

Barry Leake
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. V helpful

Barry

Michael Brigg
    Participant

I’m 5’10” and have never found it a problem other than that even if not carrying too much beer, my weight at @11stone is a bit heavier than ideal unless I sail with a tiny helm.

Tacking is fine if you face backwards. In fact on a roll tack, a deep crouch into the bottom of the boat adds a bit of rythm, and as the boat rolls on its side you simply stand up to correct the movement.

Barry Leake
    Participant

This is good news as from the responses already this is class well alive with enthusiasm. Looks like I must progress in prep for the 2013 season.

Thanks once again

Barry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.