Frudder block

Home Forums Technical Frudder block

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tony Thresher 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alex Hirst
    Participant

I have recently received a wooden firefly with a old rudder block that has been badly corroded and i need to replace the block and tiller any ideas?

Guy
    Participant

Hi Alex, I am Firefly class Technical Secretary but any class stalwart would be keen to give you advice, as we are a very friendly crowd. Could I ask for a little more detail on your Firefly number and maybe a description of the rudder stock i.e. is it an alloy casting or a wooden stock with brass or stainless tiller port? Your sail number may help too. These details may help us to find you the best value replacement, as a new rondar stock / tiller / rudder blade option, though great to use is not the cheapest for repairing an older boat. Will you be racing your firefly and gybing on the sea may also help…or leisurely pottering around a lake? I’ll then try and make a sensible suggestion. Guy

Alex Hirst
    Participant

unfortunately I cant find the firefly number but i know that the sail number is 6262 and that the rudder block seems to be caste but the tiller mount has been replaced by the previous owners (a bit of a bodged job though) as i took this off as there was a large build up of old salt that corroded the block because the boat has been upside down in a boat rack at my local club for 2-3 years and the rudder is wooden and at stock level is around 2″ and is a lifting design.
    thanks
    alex hirst

Tony Thresher
    Participant

Hi Alex

I have an old style rudder stock, caste ali with old ash tiller and extension and also the transom fittings if you want those too. Give me a call on 07729104117

Tony Thresher
    Participant

Hi Alex

I have an old style rudder stock, caste ali with old ash tiller and extension and also the transom fittings if you want those too. Give me a call on 07729104117 and I’m sure we can come to some arrangement.

I’m intrigued with your sail number of 6262 as i have just completed a new boat and its number is 4116. I dont think I’ll see a Firefly with such a high sail number in my life time!

Tony Thresher

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.