West Lancs 24 Hr race 13-14 Sept

Home Forums Racing West Lancs 24 Hr race 13-14 Sept

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Guy 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Guy
    Participant

We think the NFA Firefly assoc should enter a team this year. But we need a good condition Rondar to sail, possibly from an institution such as a school or Univ or a friendly owner. I know we could offer our sails to the boat and aim to return in good condition. Even make a donation towards wear and tear, why not. So anyone have a Rondar they’d lend subject to fair terms? We’d collect, trail, sail and return of course for a full inspection. There were 3 Firefly teams last year mostly raced well by younger folk than me, but that is easy now! The

Andy Reilly
    Participant

Hi Guy, have you had any luck tracking down a good boat? We can certainly help out with spares and equipment but I guess you will have better boat offers than us.

Andy

Guy
    Participant

No boat offer yet Andy. But I think I’d be able to gather a squad if I had a Rondar. I am dead serious about paying for the loan for wear and tear, seems only right. Yes I have spare mast, boom and sails. So am still keen to get an NFA team out – just need the enthusiasm of others to go to this great fun event!and a boat, or I’ll take Dillon F2539 however a Rondar would look better.

Andy Reilly
    Participant

Hi Guy, Budworth Sailing Club have some Rondars that are being refurbished at Rondar at the moment. I have spoken to the class captain, vice-commodore and treasurer and We can lend the NFA one, or maybe two of these boats. They have just been fully refitted and could be used for Southport if you do not get a better offer.
    I may be able to help with getting them to and from Southport.

Could this also encourage more people to come to the Budworth Open Meeting I ask???

Cheers

Andy Reilly

Guy
    Participant

Hi Andy, that is a great offer. If you are happy to loan, I’ll try hard to gather a squad for NFA to race. Let me know Budworth open date and I will try hard for one to come. Promise. Any Budworth entries for Weymouth Champs yet? Will discuss how to get boat to southport another day, but if you have a large trailer you may want to control towing which I’d understand. It would make it easier for me and NFA certainly. So any takers now for NFA Squad for 24 hr race. Already I have the big blue tent as Command Centre and will work on camping cooking stuff for tea etc

Andy Reilly
    Participant

If we can help in any other way then please shout. The date for our open meeting is completely tied into the delivery of all 6 of the boats from Rondar (of which the Southport boat will be the 1st ready). We are expecting the open to be November time frame and we may well try to find a way to link it with supporting the South Staffs open as well.

At best there will be one Budworth boat at the champs – me! but I need to find a crew and some accommodation. I have the boat and sails all sorted but the clash with GCSE results have removed my crew.

All good fun.

Guy
    Participant

There are now 6 Firefly Teams already entered for the 58th 24 Hr race at WLYC, brilliant. Now all we need are the helms and crews who want to be in the NFA Team. I will be touting for crews at the Champs. It really is a great fun event and last year my highlight was sailing the midnight shift which was just rather cool. So was my tent and sleeping bag at 2am, but the drink was warming! Teams going are Liverpool/Manchester Uni, WOSC, London Uni, WLYC with their own Firefly, Strathclyde Uni, Skammenden Water. The NFA team should be a fast team to represent the class. If it contained a lot of ol’gits we could compete for old prizes too ho ho

Andy Reilly
    Participant

Hi Guy, is the Southport plan still GO?
    I will be bringing the boat up from Rondar next week.

Andy

Guy
    Participant

Hi Andy, Sorry that I didn’t find more time to chat this through when you were down at Weymouth. I am still hoping to bring a NFA Team, but will need this weekend to firm up the numbers of helms and crews keen enough to sign up, i.e. really sign up. I’ll let you know by mid week if that is ok? If we were short of NFA team numbers, could we combine ours with yours or are your team all Youth? Just a thought.

Guy
    Participant

Andy, thanks so much for offer however we are a very depleted team, due to various other recent / arising commitments. So NFA Team is off. However if I could be of use, I’d certainly think about putting in an appearance with sailing kit and tent alongside? Thanks again. Let me know when Budworth Open is on and I’ll aim to come. Cheers Guy

Andy Reilly
    Participant

No problem Guy, the offer will be there for next year if people would like to do it. We have supplied a boat for the lads sailing for the Bart Simpson charity and I am sure they will become keen to do more Firefly sailing as well.

We still have not picked the date for the Budworth Open but we will be doing our best to support the South Staffs and West Oxford events.

Cheers

Andy

hudson345
    Participant

Thats great Andy and good to hear the Budworth Fleet is going well. It would be great to have WOSC , South Staffs and Budworth Fleets all travel to each other Open Meetings – hope to see you at WOSC Open in October.
    Guy and I are keen to get an NFA team to the 24 hr race and will work on recruiting for next year and thanks again for you kind offer of a boat,
    Cheers,
    Stuart

Guy
    Participant

Severn Firefly Teams at Southport this year. We really ought to send a serious “lets try hard team” next year. Well done to those 7 for flying the Class Flag and upping our presence in the north and Midlands by racing at this event! The teams mostly were university and youth teams, brilliant for the class’s future.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.