Wooden F Keelband

Home Forums Technical Wooden F Keelband

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Weir 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Andy Weir
    Participant

I’ve finally got my boat into the garage to dry out, then paint/varnish – needs to go on a bit of a diet (I’m hoping most of the excess weight is moisture) – I was planning to replace my brass keelband with something lighter – started looking at boats/pictures, and it seems that there are a lot of wooden Fireflies that have either lost their keelband, or it is so well faired in that it is difficult to tell where wood ends, and keelband starts.

Am I missing something?

Michael Brigg
    Participant

Hi Andy,

I must say, I had always thought that the keel band should be metal but a quick look at the rules chapter and verse says that wooden boats must have…

Rule D3.2 f)
    “(f) A metal or plastic keelband and stem band shall be fitted to wooden hulls. A keelband and stem band of any material is optional on GRP hulls. Fairing/blending pieces may be fitted at each end of the centreboard case.”

…And Rule D8.2:-

Keel and stem bands; Minimum Maximum
    depth – wooden shell ………………………………………………. 3 mm …….. 7 mm
    depth – GRP shell …………………………………………………………… .. 7 mm

Ben Green
    Participant

Have you managed to find a source of the plastic keelband Andy? I need to replace some on F1522 but it seems to be crazy expensive for what it is from chandleries. It’s just a plastic extrusion so must be a cheaper source somewhere

andy__reilly
    Participant

I put plastic on my old boat a few years ago and spent far to much time wondering if it had shattered. I have put aluminium on my current boat and it is only marginally heavier but significantly more resilient.

Andy Weir
    Participant

based on this discussion:

http://www.solosailing.org.uk/mboard/msg_list.asp?id=D7E46822-7094-4BF0-834A-A936AFD53224

I’ve gone for 16mm half round aluminium – around £20, and 1/5th the weight of brass.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.