This site lets you know what the NFA (National Firefly Association) does, and the role it plays in maintaining the Firefly as one of the strongest two person racing fleets in the UK. Important facts you need to know about the Firefly include:-
- The Firefly is the one of the cheapest two person dinghies in the UK, race-ready secondhand boats can be picked up for under £1000 and sometimes a bargain can be had for a few hundred; a new boat from Rondar Raceboats ready to go is approximately £5000.
- The Firefly is 12′ long, suits a crew weight of 17-24 stone, and has no spinnaker.
- The Firefly has great fleet racing, where inches count all the way round the course. The week-long National Championship held each August is the highlight of the year. For more details of Firefly events click on the Events tag on the left
- The Firefly is the ultimate team racing boat used at the 2015 ISAF World Team Racing Championships , as well as being used for over 60 years at the world-famous Wilson Trophy, the British Open Team Racing Championship.
- The Firefly is also the boat of choice for Schools and Universities for teaching and Team Racing.
- If you like cheap close racing, the best team racing, excellent socials and a friendly class, buy a Firefly, join the class association, and come and join us!
- Last but not least! The Firefly class is as much about socializing as it is about sailing. With a current member list ranging from all ages – 8 to 80, a perfect balance of men to women and a super-friendly bunch of people, you are guaranteed to have fun, both on and off the water
At just £20 for a years’ full membership (e.g. helm), it’s affordable – and fun!
If this sounds like the boat, class, fun and set of friends you are looking for, please contact the class membership secretary on email@example.com